But, if you simply want to perform your due diligence and keep your liver clean and detoxified, then consider the following home remedies:
1. Black seed oil: Black seed (Nigella sativa) has antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, antibacterial, antifungal, antidiabetic, analgesic, and anti-cancer properties. Black seed oil protects the liver against wear and tear and chemical-induced injury by reversing oxidative stress. This oil also protects the liver against damage caused by toxic heavy metals such as lead and chemicals such as carbon tetrachloride.
2. Turmeric: Turmeric is a powerful anti-inflammatory, antioxidant, antibacterial, antifungal, and anticancer agent. As a matter of fact, turmeric has long been used to treat liver-related illnesses. According to a 2009 study, the main active ingredient in turmeric called curcumin reduces liver injury induced by thioacetamide, ethanol, cholestasis, iron overdose, subchronic and chronic carbon tetrachloride intoxication. In addition, curcumin reverses liver cirrhosis to some extent.
3. Milk thistle: Milk thistle is well-known for its liver-healing abilities. It contains flavonoids such as silybin, silydianin, and silychristin, which have antioxidant and anti-fibrotic activities that decrease fat storage in the liver and prevent toxins from attaching to liver cells. Also, milk thistle protects liver injury caused by acetaminophen (Tylenol), iron overload, carbon tetrachloride, phenylhydrazine, radiation, alcohol, and Amanita phalloides (a poisonous mushroom). Moreover, the herb can treat acute and chronic viral hepatitis, alcoholic liver disease, and toxin-induced liver disease.
4. Dandelion root: Dandelion has plenty of medicinal uses. It is a powerful diuretic and has antioxidant properties that can help prevent metabolic syndrome, a contributing factor towards liver disease. According to animal studies, dandelion is beneficial in preventing hypercholesterolemic atherosclerosis and reducing risk factors for coronary artery disease.
5. Green tea: Green tea is enriched with high-density catechins which improve liver functioning and prevent fat accumulation in people suffering from the nonalcoholic fatty liver disease. It blocks the amount of fat stored in the liver and improves its functioning as well. Try to drink 3 to 4 cups of green tea regularly to keep the fatty liver disease at bay.